The Journal of American Institute for Conservation (JAIC) seeks submissions for a special issue on the topic of “Sustainability within Conservation and Collections Care.” The issue will cover the ways in which conservators and collections care professionals in both institutional and private practices are experiencing the effects of our changing climate and adapting their practices to be more sustainable.
Articles types sought include research articles, short communications, technical notes (similar to expanded tips), literature reviews, and ethical considerations.
Areas of Interest
Areas of interest include but are not limited to:
- Research by conservators and scientists on more sustainable materials and use of those materials
- Ways to limit energy use and reduce waste
- Ways conservators and collections care professionals are factoring sustainability into their decision-making
- The intersection between sustainability and risk-assessment
- Energy and waste audits in conservation labs or private practices
- Collaborative and sustainable practice
- The intersection between sustainability and the ethical care of artwork
- Efforts to source conservation materials more locally
- Ways conservators and collections care professionals have expanded the reach of their sustainability efforts
- Work with local communities and/or climate activities and organizations