George Stout Scholarship
Submission Deadline: December 15
This scholarship helps student and post graduate members defray transportation, accommodations, and registration costs for professional meetings that take place six weeks to twelve months after the application deadline.
Funding for the scholarship comes from the George Stout Fund, which we established in 1981 to honor George L. Stout (1897-1978), who was an early pioneer of applying scientific techniques to the conservation of cultural heritage in the United States. Generous contributions have supplemented the fund in subsequent years.
The Education and Training Committee reviews the applications anonymously and makes a recommendation to the Foundation's Board of Directors.
- They may give preference to students presenting papers or those who are nearing the completion of their graduate education.
- They do not fund the same individual in succeeding years, unless funds permit.
- They will partially or totally fund as many qualified applicants as possible, as funds permit. The maximum award is $1,000.
- They review applications using the guidelines below and an established evaluation rubric based on the criteria for review.
Criteria for Review
- Status as a current student or post graduate member
- Usefulness of the meeting to the applicant
- Participation level at a meeting
- Dissemination plan for knowledge and skills gained from the meeting
- Appropriateness of budget/demonstration of financial need
- Completeness of the application
- Representation of specialties
Applicants submit through our online application portal, which requires a login ID and password. This system is not currently synced with AIC's database, so your login information may be different than your AIC profile.
The online form will take you through the application. You will be asked to provide the following information:
- Applicant information (name and contact information, resume/CV, etc.)
- Project information (description of the project and how it will help you advance professionally)
- Budget information (project costs and support)
Applicants can save their application and return later to complete it. When they are satisfied with their responses, they can click “save and finalize” to submit their application. Once they submit their application, they cannot return to edit the form.
In order to remain eligible for future funding, applicants must submit a final report within 30 days of the completion of the project to firstname.lastname@example.org
The report must include:
- a 500 - 1,000 word narrative
- at least two images
- a final budget summarizing the expenses and sources of revenue
We may publish reports in full or in part, including posting on our website.
Email email@example.com or call us at (202) 661-8071.