The theme of the AIC's 47th Annual Meeting was "New Tools, Techniques, and Tactics in Conservation and Collection Care."
Are conservation professionals innovators? We think so. From developing new approaches to conservation treatment and preventive care, to utilizing cutting-edge technological research, to examining how cultural heritage is defined and valued, conservation professionals are innovative, dynamic, forward-looking agents of change. And how does collaboration with related fields and allied professionals influence the dynamics of the conservation – innovation process?
We asked for papers that explore all types of new work: practical, method-focused treatment projects; advances in collections care and management; discoveries in conservation science; and conservation initiatives that intentionally have a positive impact on communities. In 2019, we came together to share new ideas for solving conservation and collections care problems large and small.
Our concurrent general session sub-themes included:
- Imaging Tools/Techniques/& Tactics
- New Technologies Meeting Timeless Conservation Problems
- New Tools and Techniques: Let's Talk About Gels!
- Practical Approaches to Technical Research in Low-Tech Settings
- The Evolving Role of the Conservator of Contemporary Art
- Tough Challenges Need New Techniques